INSIGHTS: Property in Flims Laax Falera
Insights: Property in Flims Laax Falera. Alpine Property intelligence recently caught up with our partners at Thoma Immo in Flims Laax Falera to discuss the trends they are seeing and how they see the market this season.
• First of all, 2018-19 was another great season for skiers, did you see a follow through of interest from buyers into the summer and autumn?
It seems that the last two snowy winters have created stronger demand than the recent past. I wouldn’t talk about a major downtrend in sales but there was less interest. We certainly had more guests in hotels and holiday apartments and also day trippers the last 2 winters than the years before. This brings a new optimism into all business in the whole region.
• Do you think it was only a positive effect from the fantastic ski conditions, or can you identify other factors that are supporting the interest?
It certainly has something to do with the fact that the Flims Laax Falera region is constantly investing in the railway infrastructure and also creating other attractions.
• What sort of properties do you see most in demand?
Either high-end, larger properties are in demand or smaller, simpler apartments. Mid-priced apartments with no outstanding features are a little harder to sell.
• Is there enough for sale in the market in these popular segments?
There are more than 6000 second homes and holiday homes in Flims Laax Falera. There is therefore always enough for sale. Of course, dream locations are also rather rare here and therefore have their price.
• How is the new development market in Flims Laax Falera? Which are the best new projects you would flag to our readers?
Due to the second home initiative adopted in 2012, all tourist resorts in Switzerland have a de facto ban on the construction of new second homes. The market therefore largely involves the resale of apartments. However one new project is the rocksresort at the valley station Laax. In addition to the already existing “Rocks”, 3 more are being built. These are stylish holiday apartments with rental obligations and many extras. On the ground floor there are restaurants, pubs and bars as well as shops with trendy and traditional offers for every taste.
• Please tell us about significant new infrastructures, new hotels, events in Flims Laax Falera.
There has been much going on recently. On the mountain the reopening of Cassons (Flimserstein) with cable cars. In Laax, construction of a new treetop path of 2 km length. Also a new Youth Hostel in Laax with a completely renovated public indoor pool.
And in Flims, Stenna Flims is a new centre on the Stennabrücke, directly at the valley station. It includes the hotel “The Hide”, shops, restaurants, a doctor’s office, a large parking garage with 1150 seats, 4 cinemas and as a highlight, Kindercity and Sciencity, an interactive MINT (Mathematics, Computer Science, Science and Technology) Edutainment Centre. Aiming to support early childhood understanding of technology and science. Edutainment stands for “Education and Entertainment” and it is an entertainment centre for the whole family, with a Kids Club and childcare offered. An ideal offer for the whole family when the weather is not so nice.
• In general, how would you describe price trends in Flims Laax Falera over the last 12 months?
The price trend has been stable, but not rising.
• What would be your best advice to current or potential sellers in terms of timing, how and when to list your property?
The best time to sell a property is in autumn / winter. The demand has increased again after 2 -3 calmer years.
• Finally, if you had to pick one chalet or apartment, of all the properties you have for sale, as your favourite, which one would it be?
This charming, stylish apartment in a breathtaking panoramic position, with sun and relaxation included.